Voldemort represents Communism, ever since the 2016 US Elections, liberals have been eager to compare to Trump to all sorts of things: Adolf Hitler, President Reagan, and even Lord Voldemort. I am here to tell /leftypol/ that these comparisons are mistaken, as I will explain throughout the rest of this post. Voldemort's life and ideology actually have more in common with Lenin, Stalin, and that of the Soviet Union. Here is my reasoning:
1) At the beginning of Tom Riddle's journey into the Wizarding world, he is a very poor orphan with extreme talents in magic that were very unusual, far beyond the likes of mere charlatans like Hitler and Reagan. He considers death a "human weakness", as in, a contradiction innate to all men that he wished to overcome after suffering the death of his mother. He recognizes this contradiction, but does not yet recognize how to overcome it. His talented side mirrors Stalin's talents in religious knowledge as a young boy. His struggle mirrors Lenin and the death of his brother
2) In Tom Riddle's sixth year, he questioned Professor Horus Slughorn about a key to immortality, the Horcrux. this is considered forbidden, but known, knowledge by "high-ranking" individuals who were considered "loyal" to the traditions of the Wizarding world. Knowledge that would resolve the problems caused by death. Might I suggest this is most similar to the knowledge of Communism? Communism seeks to resolve the effects of exploitation by sublating them under a new system, one that requires class struggle and blood sacrifice. The horror on Professor Slughorn's face when Tom Riddle poses the question could basically be put in the context of a student asking a question about Communism to Slughorn's muggle, liberal counterpart.
3) After Tom Riddle discovers the Horcrux (Communism) he develops a new admiration for magic, putting it on a higher pedestal than he could've possibly imagined before. Historical necessity was calling to him. That is, the historical necessity of magic. The liberal interpretation of Harry Potter is that the muggles are, to put it bluntly, ethnics. But this couldn't be further from the truth. The muggles are in a privilidged caste of society that oppresses Witches and Wizards, forcing them into hiding and doing everything in their power to stop the development and integration of magic into the world. Tom Riddle comes to a fateful conclusion: in order for immortality to blossom, Witches and Wizards must overthrow the muggles and become the ruling class in society, forming a Dictatorship of the Witches and Wizards where magic can be integrated into it. The dynamic between muggles and wizards mirrors that of the bourgoisie and the proletariat.
4) Tom Riddle traveled abroad and experimented on the Dark Arts for 10 years. pushed magic to farther boundaries than they ever have been pushed. He developed his ideology and theory in order for the great revolution that would push the world into the next era of civilization. Much like Marx and Lenin during their banishment. "I have experimented; I have pushed the boundaries of magic further, perhaps, than they have ever been pushed —"
5) Voldemort started the First Wizarding War by taking advantage of one of the wizarding world's greatest weaknesses: the beings and creatures that they had persecuted. Giants and werewolves. The oppressed and outcast. This is not unlike how the Bolsheviks used the Jews in Russian society to their advantage: the Jews had been subject to open harassment in the Russian empire for decades, peaking during the recession caused by WW1. Lenin knew how to speak to the oppressed and the forgotten. Those that wanted a better society for themselves and for everybody.
6) In spite of the Death Eater party's threat to the established order of the Wizarding world: that of ethnic segregation and chattel slavery, the status quo was soon restored by the Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledore's army. The threat of Horcruxes and the violent outburts of the oppressed in wizarding society were soon considered to be extinguished and all but forgotten. Much like the Soviet Union and its ideology of Communism, which Capitalism and its ideologues believed defeated for the most part. Unless another wizard as powerful and ambitious as Voldemort should choose to discover it again...
3 posts omitted.