Reposting a cleaned up old /leftypol/ post
One of the biggest problem of the modern left is the open display of decadence and lack of discipline. The alt-right memes about leftoids and radlib effeminate soyboys, sexual deviants and limp-wristed middle class kids come from the most vocal minority of the left, and it's pathetic that the left delivers right-wingers more and more material to mock us with by trying to defend this, which transpires into the already problematic mainstream opinion.
In my opinion, there are several things to tackle on a personal level for success:
- Sexual deviancy and promiscuity: Who you fuck and what your kinks are belong into your bedroom and nowhere else. Get pronouns and self-proclaimed sexual fetishes out of your bio and political analyses if you want to run a serious political or philosophical account. Put that crap on a private account if you want to.
- Scruffiness: Groom yourself and work out. Get decent clothing. By treating your body with respect you will raise self-esteem and passively demonstrate that others should respect you as a person well. Moreover a healthy mind, resides in a healthy body, so working out regularly, not doing drugs and eating properly is important. Simple attire but not too casual. No punk shit either. The Communist Party isn't a Social Club, a minority or gay advocates rights group, or some shitty Mac Store where your faggot boss wears a Turtleneck sweater and asks you if you've had a good fuck; it’s a group dedicated to socialist discussion and thought.
- Behave in IRL political events: Don't show up intoxicated, don't use leftist events as an excuse to party and chill, do not aimlessly riot, whatever you do, try to outcompete your political opponents, the libs and the right-wingers, in terms of respectability: If they drink a beer and sit in a camping chair, don't drink a beer, and don't bugger yourself into a camping chair. If you want to have fun, don't use your politics and do this with your friends. Disciplined public behaviour =/= no fun whatsoever in your life. You can easily have three beers later in the evening, with your comrades, or maybe with some people who got interested in you, just don't start bingedrinking while still in a political sphere or shout shit like "kill all white people tbh XDDD fukkk I want trap dick LOL".
- Anti-work rethoric: Do not ever try to make you look like you want free shit. Reduction of the work day is reasonable, nonsense like "abolishing work" will make you look bad and it is utopian, it straight-out ignores the material conditions of production, especially the reliance of the material wealth of the western service economies on Third World labor. Wage labor isn't "work". Wage labor is a historical phenomenon. Nobody abandons the ideals of communism by working within the framework of what is materially possible - see Cockshott's schemes of organization of labor in socialism. You won't get your Star Trek replicators anytime soon unless you want to greatly reduce the living quality of everybody.
- LARPing/sloganeering: What we need is actual relevant political knowledge, we need to equipped with actual modern data and statistics, so we can uncompromisingly maintain our claim to be scientific. While defending the USSR or other socialist countries is important, it is also important to understand the current political climate and the differences of today.
That being said;
When most normies think of Communists, they think of Red Army, Commissars, "COMRADE WE KILL THE CAPITALIST EXPLOITER", and that sort of Spartan mindset of "destroy the Decadent West".
Seriously, there is such an appeal to Communism I think every Communist is initially attracted to but because there's so much in the way of Theory and History it just becomes more and more implicit until it is just fades completely at the back of his or her mind. Think of it is as a sincere - as opposed to ironic - self-awareness. If we want to "rebrand" we don't act like the Right and pretend we are something that we are not, we simply use the perception people already have about us and amplify it positively.